Last weekend I went with one of my daughters to see the movie "Boy in the striped Pajamas". It's a powerful story based on a novel from an Irish author that is a text in some school systems. It deals with an awful lot of subjects including the holocaust, ethics, mixing church and culture. (Check the reviews that you trust before you go). As we drove home we talked about where Christ was in the story, and the difficulty of ethics - living out faith in very practical ways and at times costly ways.
I was also thinking of how to 'worship fully' in those circumstances. If I was in a concentration camp denied all rights and daily needs how would I - how could I worship fully? Part of that conversation went to realizing that worship and emotional highs are not the same thing. Worship is acknowledging the presence of God, (which the movie alludes to) even in the darkest spots. Worship involves obedience and trust, worshiping fully is fully obedient and trusting. The only person to make that happen has been Jesus, fully reliant and trusting of the Father. Which I guess is the Christmas story - the beginning of a life lived in full obedience to the Father.
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment