Friday, December 19, 2008

Not my favourite

I confess that Christmas is not my favourite time of year. I don't like tacky decorations. And I really don't like images of angels and Santa Clauses. I don't like the stress of preparations and buying things for people who won't like them or need them anyway. Maybe it's because I don't always enjoy hanging out with all my family - but they're the family I've got and once I'm there, it's usually okay. I do enjoy giving presents to people who I know will like them - you know, the gift that's perfectly suited to the person. This year, I'm making most of my gifts and that has been fun. So I've avoided the shopping malls!

Christmas isn't about presents and eating too much and stress, although that's always part of the picture. It's purely a celebration of the coming to earth of the Creator God, Holy God, All Powerful God who, incredibly, loves His creation so much that He came to live with them for awhile. THAT is the celebration. I find it difficult to get into that spirit of celebration because I've experienced Christmas every year for many years and it's not real fresh anymore. So how do I separate myself from the hustle and bustle and stress of everything and allow the real celebration to sink into my soul? That's the challenge! It may have to wait till after Christmas Day, when I can just be God's child and stop doing for awhile.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just got to thinking, if Christmas is a celebration about the Birth of Jesus, how ever did we get all this other stuff. We don't celebrate our own birthday's in such a crazy fashion. I know we are talking the King of Kings here but there is no reference of it being celebrated in scripture (after the initial event that is), at least I don't think so...I need to do some work here!

Maybe there is some value in separating the Birth from some of the other stuff. So have the feast of St Nicolas (or equivalent)in early December so you can still enjoy the fairy tale, present giving etc
but retain the quiet contemplation of what Jesus's coming means for a separate occasion time.

That would require a major rework.