"I don't need anything this world says I do. I don't need anything but You. I don't need anything that I can't afford. I don't need anything but You.... I just need your presence, your life-giving love. I don't need anything but You. You are my ever-present help. You are salvation from myself. You are my comfort and my joy. I don't need anything but you." - Brian Doerkson (from "Holy God")
I truly believe the marketplace is a war. The enemy's weapons are lies and his battlefield is our mind. In this season more than ever we can't neglect the armor of God and our arsenal, the TRUTH and PRAYER!
3 comments:
So, Rebecca I hear the song and I get the connection. Can you let me know what the words mean to you in a practical sense. I mean, the words of the song are all about relying on God for everything but you and Oliver still have jobs and stuff right? How does relying on God and trusting Him translate beyond the emotional?
On a very practical level, the message of the song, "I don't need anything but (Jesus)" counters the message of our culture, "I need more!" Yes, Ollie and I have "Jobs and stuff" but relying on God and trusting him translates as recognizing that the source of ALL is Christ and ALL GOOD THINGS have come from Him, my provider. I am working out being thankful for all I have (the jobs and stuff) and not wanting more (which actually translates into buying a heck of a lot less crap).
This makes sense to me. Let me push the metaphor a bit further. If you and I (and Ollie, Sue and others)hear the song, how can we sing in harmony?
Not one to leave ALL the work to others, how about: picking the most unused coffee shop we know and all going there for coffee (the four of us plus anyone who's read this blog comment) or if you'd like a two part harmony, Sue and I taking care of your kids for an evening while you and Ollie go out to see a show or the movies or something - both of these are relational type activities and fall into the sort of activity that Simply Christian is encouraging us to engage in?
Post a Comment